Season 3 Finale Details

Hey everyone,

We have finalized the details for the Season 3 Global competition.
This post will discuss entry, tournament structure, eligibility, and rewards.
For anyone who was around for the Season 1 or 2 Global competition, this one is structured similarly.
The primary difference this season is prizing based on performance in ranked competitions.

Entry
On Sunday, September 1st at 11:59PM ET we will prevent further algos from entering or leaving the ‘Season Three’ environment, giving Rating time to stabilize on the leaderboard. You will still be able to see the leaderboard and your algo’s Rating and match history. Note that because of the glicko system, it should take a very short amount of time for Rating to stabilize.
On September 3rd at 4:00 PM ET we will take a ‘snapshot’ of the leaderboard, the top ten players at this point will be entered into the global competition finals. Season three algos will permanently stop playing ranked games at this point, and you will be able to remove them to make room for new Season 4 Algos.

Prizes and Competition Structure.
There are 5 ways to win.

1. All players who enter get $90 for a total of $900.

2. All players who enter get (11 - rank)*$20 for a total of $1,100. Refer to the list below for a detailed breakdown:
    $20 $40 $60 $80 $100 $120 $140 $160 $180 $200

3. Round Robin Groups
    Players will be broken up into two groups:
    5 players with odd rankings and 5 players with even rankings.
    All players will play against all other players in their group.
    Each win awards $100 for a total of $2k

4. Grand finale
    The player with the most wins in their group moves to the grand finale.
    In the case of a tie, the player who won the most matches among the tied players moves on.
    In the rare case this does not produce a single winner, rating will be used as a tiebreaker.
    The grand finale winner will earn an additional $500

5. Ranked Competition Performance
    The remaining $500 will be distributed among players who reached gold tier in ranked competitions, based on the current final standings.

Stream
We will be streaming the games Tuesday, September 9th, at 6pm ET and run until around 8pm ET. As always, you can view the stream on our twitch channel .

Eligibility and Conflicts
Conflicts and issues will be resolved at C1’s discretion.

Season Four
We will be continuing to use the S3 config into S4
S4 ends around December 31st

As always, please ask any questions or raise any concerns below!

2 Likes

Will the breakdown of how the $500 for ranked competition will be split be announced during the stream?

It will be announced soon™, the stream being the upper bound on when that can be.

There are some significant concerns from several players about server performance and turn-zero crashes occurring post-cutoff, discussed over the last few days in this thread: Inconsistency in time per turn

Will this have any effect on the currently released timetable?

@RegularRyan - Any updates here? As of 4:11 PM ET, I’m still seeing my algos playing Season 3 matches. Is this intentional?

It’s the same as always, they just take a snapshot and let them play on

2 Likes

Does anyone have a semi-official list of the top ten at 4:00pm or an actually screenshot of the board at that time?

I‘m quite sure it was:

1. paprikadobi
  2. kauffk
  3. arnby
  4. n-Sanders
  5. tambourineman42
  6. team 13. kean
  7. Quincy
  8. Iwannawin
  9. acshi h
  10. LuckyR
1 Like

Depending on when the snapshot was, arnby and I might be swapped at #3/4.
I think it was the match right after 4 PM ET that put us at a tying rating.

1 Like

I personally feel like the matchmaking rates may have been overestimated. 4pm today was their estimate on how long a good ‘settling time’ would be, but seeing several positions swap including people leaving/entering the top 10 a mere 3 hours after the cutoff, things don’t really feel settled to me.

Edit: on the other hand, it’s possible that it will continue to change slightly for as long as it is allowed to run, so I guess they have to stop somewhere

2 Likes

No new algos can be uploaded and you can only play each algo once so it should actually settle at some point. I wouldnt mind if the cut off date moved since im up 2 spots simce 4

The C1 folk seem unusually quiet right now. I’m guessing that is mostly to do with the season end falling on a holiday weekend.

Regarding the position changes since 4 PM, I know what had been my top algo dropped down as I slipped to #4 after losing to a couple algos rated in the 1800s (there’s a particular strat that completely ruins it that just isn’t as common/effective in this season). I’m going to assume that since matchmaking did some pairings of my 2200s with 1800s that it’s getting pretty deep into the pool. It also feels like this season has had less active algo participation than the previous ones (based on my very limited sampling!) so maybe it’s more realistic to cover a higher percentage of possible global algo pairings.

I’m definitely game for whatever they decide, it’d just be nice to hear an official word from them about these past few days.

2 Likes

Yeah that seems like a fair assessment. My only genuine complaint would be the silence/inaction in the midst of what I would call a botched execution of the season end, what with the turn-zero crashes and apparent server inconsistency deciding to randomly smite some people’s matches. It seems like the algos have been taken down now so I’d guess they’re going through with it, although realistically I understand the whole season end process was likely automated and people are probably just enjoying time out of the office.

Edit: and honestly my panicked wailing this whole time may have been a tad harsh, since the problem appeared to be pretty uniform and the final standings line up decently well with what I would have expected from peoples’ performance records this summer. I do feel that @arnby was ripped off though.

1 Like

Funnily enough the front page said the cut off time was 8pm instead of 4pm, which seams to roughly correlate with when the algos were taken down.

As far as I am concerned, the biggest deal is who just makes/made it into the top 10. Team: Michigan_Difference and luckyr seem to have swapped places since 4pm.

Also, fun fact: I am also at the University of Michigan, but I don’t know any of the folks behind that team.

3 Likes

Hello there

2 Likes

What about us? Are we drawn? Who is 8th an who is 9th?

At least as of 4pm I think you had a lead in ranking.

Yeah, but I don’t think the games stopped without a reason now. Maybe they meant to say 8pm

It’s like we are all stuck waiting for the review of the photo finish.

At this pace, @RegularRyan’s employee of the year title may be at risk :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this is the longest span in my memory without C1 communication on the forums, especially during such an important part of the season.
I’m starting to hope everything is okay at C1. Maybe something happened unexpectedly.