We are working on an overhaul of our online competition structure. This feature is our attempt to create a satisfying long term online experience and we are interested to know what you think.
The details below are for a planned feature and are subject to change.
New Long-Term Competition Structure Overview
- Players will be broken up into tiers: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. We may release a diamond tier in the future.
- Every week or two, there will be a tiered competition. Players will gain and lose ranked points based on their performance within the competition
- Players in tiered competitions will be divided up by rank, essentially making separate sub-competitions. Playing against players in their own tier will provide a more satisfying experience for all users
Fully placed Competitions
- In Single Round Elimination, more than half of all players are knocked out in the first 2 rounds, after playing 1-2 games. These players have no idea about how they placed or how well they did, and were barely able to participate. In a fully placed competition, additional brackets will be formed recursively for the losers of any round with more than one loser in it. All entrants will play log(n) games, and will receive a single specific placement. (This placement is used to determine ranked point gains/losses)
- We plan on setting things up so these competitions are automatically created and run. We plan to cast once a month, casting the highest tier competition’s top 4 and 2-4 highlights from the lower tiers
- We will be working out a rewards structure and will keep you posted on the details.
- We still plan on having occasional special competitions with special configs or other special characteristics occasionally
We will be running an early version of this system in the coming few weeks as a test. Keep an eye out for new competitions. We will be starting users out in either bronze or silver tier based on their leaderboard rating.