S6 week3: Gold - fast track

Gold / Silver competitions this week (June 1 2020) seems messed up :slight_smile:
Last week Demorf was the only one in Silver … waiting for some fresh blood.

Now, when I checked the Silver group, only N-Sanders is there, and we have 3 people in Gold:
Demorf
eric574
mattpk

1 Like

Thanks, will look into this.

Thinking over this again, it might be an useful feature, to have a “fast track” for the first 2 weeks of the season:
In Week 1, a bigger chunk of the players to move to Silver, let say top 8 or half.
In Week 2, again top 4 or half from silver to get free pass to Gold.

This way players that are “prepared” can quickly move to the proper bracket, and not “block the way” for several weeks.
This will ensure DRAMA and important fights as soon as week 3 or so …

Of course i will volunteer for such hazardous duty!!! as newbie i am expendable…
[just kidding and hoping your smiling]

Now eric574 seems to be back in bronze, not sure if that is intended behavior.

Also, hamidwat is now in silver and I can’t find any of their matches in any bronze tournament.

Haven’t gotten around to looking into this yet, the past week has been pretty busy. Hoping to handle it at the end of this week

Drama in Gold week4 again,

It is possible my competition score was a bit low, but I manage to took second place, this week…
and got denoted to Silver …

Is it possible to get some transparency on the ratings and brackets ?

3 Likes

Sorry, there have definitely been issues with the way the score is being tracked/handled in season 6 that I have not gotten around to fixing. I’ll try to have this fixed up before next competition runs.

I looked into the ledger of point changes and the logs, and this demotion was correct. I agree it was unintuitive, and explain why it happened and what we plan to improve below.

The general idea is that players in the top 50% of silver and bronze will trend towards tiering up, and players in the bottom 50% of silver and gold will trend towards tiering down. Movement is minimal towards the middle of the curve, and very high at its tail ends. The more players there are in a tier, the more players will be pressured out of that tier, eventually creating ‘equilibrium’ with the number of players in each tier being very similar, and with a large amount of ‘churn’ in-between tiers.

There are two special rules that adjust the math.

• Players can’t be demoted unless they are at 0 points. Effectively, you need to lose points two weeks in a row to be demoted.
  • The first place player in a competition is always promoted to the next tier, by being given 100 points.

In order to prevent inflation, some points are deducted from other players in that tier to compensate, usually reducing their winnings slightly. However, with a small number of players in gold, there were fewer players to soak this burden, and you actually ended up losing points.

I agree that this interaction is not intuitive. This issue only arises when there are fewer than 8 people in a tier, and is the same problem that caused eric574 to drop to bronze unexpectedly early on in the season. I think to kill two birds with one stone, I am going to make it so that players maintain their tiers across seasons. This will prevent too few players in a tier causing unexpected results, and also create the fast track asked for here.

I agree that there isn’t enough user-facing information and transparency about this. We maintain a ledger of all point changes and what competition caused them, so it is possible to add this information to the results page in the future. I have added this as a task on our backlog.

The first place player in a competition is always promoted to the next tier, by being given 100 points.

Why does this happen in gold?

I agree that there isn’t enough user-facing information and transparency about this. We maintain a ledger of all point changes and what competition caused them, so it is possible to add this information to the results page in the future. I have added this as a task on our backlog.

More transparency about this scoring would be great, it’s not such a big deal now as there are no rewards for the competitions, but if there ever are we really need to know what is going on. For instance, I didn’t know that ever getting demoted was intended behavior, but your explanation helped me understand it better.

1 Like

The system is setup to support any number of tiers and we can trivially add new ones or change their names, so gold is not ‘aware’ it is the highest tier. However, we could add a flag to a tier for allow_auto_promote and set that to false. I’ll add this to my list of improvements for this feature, it’s a pretty trivial change to make

1 Like