Season 7 Config Discussion

Turrets can pick off maybe 2 or 3 interceptors if they pass by it in a tight arc, but if you build more than a few you are definitely going to lose the factory race. I actually do build 1 or 2 turrets in my algo and i have tried to build more and it goes badly

2 Likes

I think the fundamental root of the issue is that ā€˜putting SP into anything other than factories feels terribleā€™. The nerf I lean towards is increasing the cost of factories by 1, maby even 2 points. Still want them to feel strong, but they do seem to be pushing it at the moment. Considering bumping the cost by one even before this weekend, and then perhaps doing another small nerf later on if its not enough, which does not seem unlikely

1 Like

Yeah, the problem with turrets is they arenā€™t mobile, so if you only build one and the opponent always sent intercepters from the same location that would be worth it, but they can just avoid it. So you need at least 5 destructors, or a filter wall to actually make a difference, either of which feels way too expensive. Below is an example of each of these strategies failing to stop the incerceptors.
Example of wall with choke point: https://terminal.c1games.com/watchLive/6976231
Example of spaced out turrets: https://terminal.c1games.com/watchLive/6976332

Another way to stop them is to completely wall off the board, but even that feels way too expensive (28 SP). And then you donā€™t gain much repairing the self destruct damage every turn.

1 Like

I do believe that itā€™s possible to stop the incerceptors with a fully optimized defense which would beat my current algo, but once that happens the algo with all the factories can just switch up the attack to a corner ping cannon or something else that utilizes its enormous factory lead.

3 Likes

I actually think the wall with choke point replay demonstrates itā€™s possible. P2 just needed to build a filter at (3, 16) and they would have fully stabilized. And thatā€™s without building any factories until the 10th turn.

I agree that the scrambler spam hasnā€™t needed to innovate at all yet, so itā€™s probably likely that sitting with ā€œnoā€ base but 30+ MPs/turn might be the stronger position than a ā€œfullā€ base with a dozen MPs/turn but we havenā€™t seen that stage of the evolution yet :slight_smile:

FWIW, Iā€™d vote to not making any point adjustments this first week and see how things look after the first auto-competitions. If anything, that gives us better data on what a 1-point adjustments does. Making that change now nerfs it while also reducing the chance for players to adjust their algos before the first auto-comp.

4 Likes

Agree, will hold off changes until early next week

1 Like

It is possible to wall off, with few Turrets at first, (to stop the first few small waves of Interceptors from scoring and gaining EXTRA SP) and then then completely close the board, and funnel them in a proper kill path, while working on your own factories.

But this all ends ā€¦ if they do something simple, like double stack, or switch to Scouts.
It gets really hard when you need to defend both mass Interceptors OR mass Scouts

For a long time I had this idea that Interceptors should have no effect when making a Breach (no health Damage, no SP gain) As their main role is to defend ā€¦ and it feels wrong to reward them for offensive tasks. Now that it is actually possible to overuse them, may be it is a good time to revisit this settings.

1 Like

I have recently started working on algos and I was wondering when will the docs be updated? The json docs still have the old names and stuff and the python docs seems to be a broken url.

I think the general rule is that the docs at https://terminal.c1games.com/rules are authoritative

Although currently I notice that the wall has a listed health of 30 instead of 75, and the upgraded wall of 120 instead of 150ā€¦ hmmmm

The programming documentation server is being replaced by documentation in the starter kit, and will be taken down later this week.

This is currently off and will be corrected soon

1 Like

When will the game_config json be updated with the new units/shorthands/stats?

The stats should be correct, though I suspect I forgot to update the game-config with the most recent balance patch. Ill double check this.

We are leaning towards not updating the shorthands, at least for a few months. We agree that it looks kinda weird/gross, and fixing this is in the backlog, but it is a low priority compared to some of the other things we have to do.

In the starter kit in the game_configs.json, there is still the encryptor unit with a cost of 4.0 instead of a factory with cost 7.0. Is this intended?

Download the season 7 config file from the playground by going to ā€œadvanced featuresā€ ā€“ the starter kit doesnā€™t have the updated json file yet

2 Likes

Added this to the top of my notes, will be done tomorrow