Poll: Rating Reset

The state of the terminal Ecosystem is constantly changing, with algos leaving an entering. Because this changing ecosystem will impact algo ratings, it will inherently cause some algo ratings to increase. What this means is that there is essentially a ‘force’ acting on algo ratings other than that algos skill. The same algo can have a significantly different rating based on when it was uploaded.

During the final week or so of the season, algo submissions are locked and the leaderboard is given time to settle. However, algo rating going into this period has some impact on where the score will settle. The only way to guarantee all algos start out on even footing and in the same ecosystem.

If you think it would be beneficial to try this out vote here. This poll is only used to provide feedback, final decisions will be made by the C1 team. Please comment below as well. Note that if we move forward, this will likely be tried out in Season 8, as there is already a significant amount of work planned for Season 7.

• Reset Rating & Match History
  • Maintain current system
  • Impartial

0 voters

Pros

• Fairer: Ensures all algos compete with an even footing going into the final week.

Cons

• Longer downtime between seasons
  • The main season becomes basically just for ‘practice’, only the last week actually matters for the finale
  • It could be a good thing to reward algos that were uploaded and performed consistently for many weeks leading up to the finale

Can we may be move this Season Finale in a standalone tournament, so algos play only against each other? This will work as a rating reset, and will exclude any “ghost accounts”
This way the leaderboard can stay, as a history reference and not be effected much from the Finals.

1 Like

That makes sense, but would only work after the top 10 is locked in which seems to be the main purpose of the ratings.

I voted indifferent. A reset might result in more accurate ratings, but I don’t think a deserving new algo should have trouble breaking into the top 10 in the current system.

1 Like

This is not a bad idea. I can create a competition called ‘Season Finale’ that auto-adds everyone who has participated in the season. Algos within this competition will play ranked games against each other and get a competition-local rating. Ranked games for the main season will be disabled when this ‘end of season’ competition’ starts.

The main downside of this idea is that everyone will only be able to submit one algo to the competition

Due to discussion in this thread, we will be trying out the rating reset as described here for the transition next week. The transition period will begin midnight August 30th as planned, but rating will not be reset until sometime between 11am and 7pm ET on August 31st.

Timelines has been adjusted as described here to facilitate this change, allowing more time for rating to stabalize.

1 Like

I reset the rating earlier than originally planned, ratings have been reset